Alana M. Fuierer, Esq. is a member with the firm, and leader of the Western NY Office. Ms. Fuierer litigates all forms of intellectual property cases including trademark, patent, copyright, design, and trade dress infringement actions. In addition to representing clients in litigation, Ms. Fuierer counsels and represents clients in intellectual property transactions, including licensing, and advises technology companies on ways to leverage their intellectual property portfolios. Ms. Fuierer also prepares, files and prosecutes patent applications in a wide array of technologies, with technical experience in the areas of chemistry, bioremediation, environmental microbiology, hydrology, contaminant transport, materials and semiconductor design. She has an active trademark practice, which includes trademark search and clearance opinions, preparing and prosecuting trademark applications, and representing clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Ms. Fuierer is admitted to practice in all NY district courts, the 2nd & 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and is a registered patent attorney before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Prior to joining Heslin Rothenberg Farley & Mesiti, Ms. Fuierer was a staff attorney with the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, after which she worked as a patent attorney for a private law firm. She graduated cum laude with a Juris Doctorate from the State University of New York at Buffalo (1995), where she served on the Buffalo Law Journal as an Executive Editor. Ms. Fuierer also has a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry from the State University of New York at Geneseo (1992) and a Master’s degree in Hydrology from New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (2001).
Ms. Fuierer is a member of the International Trademark Association, IP and Innovation Inn of Court, Monroe County Bar Association, Rochester Intellectual Property Association, Rochester Women’s Network, and Greater Rochester Association of Women Attorneys. She is also an active member of the Rochester Rotary and Digital Rochester, and she sits on the Board of the Business Law Council for the Monroe County Bar Association.
In 2013, Ms. Fuierer was featured in Super Lawyer Magazine (2013) as “The Scientist with a JD,” and she has been selected as a New York “Super Lawyer” in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation by the publishers of Thompson Reuters. In 2008, Ms. Fuierer was awarded the Up and Coming Business Leaders Award by the Rochester Women’s Network and in 2005, Ms. Fuierer co-founded the firm’s Cleantech Group, one of the first legal practice groups in the country to focus on IP rights in clean energy and other environmental technologies and creator of the Clean Energy Patent Growth Index (CEPGI), which has gained national recognition for the firm. She also co-founded and is President of The Grant Fund for SIDS, Inc. and serves on the Board of SIDS Support, Inc. in Rochester, NY.
- Co-Author – Risks Associated with User-Generated Content and Design on E-Commerce Sites: A Trap for the Unwary – Part I, The Daily Record IP Frontiers, August 15, 2017
- The Oft-Forgotten Importance of Design Rights, The Daily Record IP Frontiers, July 18, 2017
- Co-Author – Copyright and design protection post-Star Athletica, The Daily Record IP Frontiers, April 24, 2017
- Co-Author – The Importance of a Comprehensive Trademark Enforcement Program: The Changing Tides of Trademark Infringement, NSYBA Inside Newsletter, Spring/Summer 2016 edition, Vol. 34, No. 21. (2016)
- Which Team Will Cheer The Loudest Before The Supreme Court: Cheerleading Uniforms vs. 3D Printing (2016)
- Social Media and Trademark Enforcement (2016)
- A new regime for international design protection in the U.S. (2015)
- Walking in these shoes could walk you right into court (2015)
- Filing a federal trademark application – it’s easy, right? (2014)
- The Winding Path to the Land Of Public Domain- Looking Beyond the Yellow Brick Road (2013)
- Your Client Has A Patent. It Also Has A Website. But, Is It Properly Marking Its Patented Products? (2013)
- Small business gets opportunity in the patent system (2012)
- The AIA: What you and your clients should know (2011)
- IP’s Role in Providing Clean Water (2010)
- Cleantech Patents Can Be Accelerated (2010)
- Wind Energy Patents on the Rise (2009)
- Clean Energy Patents Reach New High (2009)
- The Greening of Patent Litigation (2008)
- The Growth of “Green” Trademarks Grow (2008)
- Co-Author: New York State Bar Association Bright Ideas, The Road to Trade Dress Protection for Product Configuration: Not a Dead End Despite TrafFix and the Functionality Roadblocks (2004).