We recognize that there are inherent and unique intellectual property issues associated with successfully transitioning a good idea into a profitable business. Establishing solid intellectual property protection at an early stage is important for ensuring a company's long-term value. Our Startup Group is keenly aware of the issues facing startup companies, and we are committed to assisting startups with their unique intellectual property needs.
The Startup Group offers cost-efficient services to startup companies at all stages of development, from idea, through startup, and beyond. We provide the advice and services necessary to protect your intellectual property in a manner that is most conducive to attracting desired capital investments and optimizing your intellectual property portfolio. We understand the budgetary challenges facing many startups, and can provide low cost alternatives and/or flexible fee arrangements, when necessary. We offer on-site educational programs specifically tailored to the needs of startup and incubator clients to assist in developing, implementing, and maintaining a comprehensive intellectual property strategy.
The Startup Group is comprised of professionals from many different technical disciplines who possess extensive experience in working with developing companies. Our members are well-versed in cross-disciplinary collaboration and have a wide range of experience and insight, ranging from working closely with startup companies in developing business plans, to protecting startup company's intellectual property portfolios through the preparation, licensing, and enforcement of intellectual property rights, to preparing clients to face inevitable questions from potential investors.
Examples of intellectual property legal services tailored to the needs of startups include:
- On-site presentations to educate startups about the mechanisms and benefits of intellectual property;
- Strategic intellectual property counseling, including pre- and post-patent filing strategizing;
- Advice on developing and optimizing an intellectual property portfolio in anticipation of meetings with potential investors, including how to prepare for an intellectual property due diligence review by venture capital companies;
- Summary landscape analyses to assist in assessing the competitive landscape;
- Agreement drafting and review, including License Agreements, Sponsored or Joint Research Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, and Non-Disclosure Agreements;
- Patent and trademark prosecution;
- Copyright registration;
- Trade secret protection;
- License negotiation assistance;
- Intellectual property enforcement;
- Domestic and International intellectual property considerations; and
- Expediting intellectual property protection.